Saturday, 20 August 2016
The Abbeys of New Ross (Walsh)
From Walsh's Ecclesiastical History of Ireland, 1891, c. lxv, p. 708 ff:
Ross-Mic-Trian, called Rossglassna Muimneach, a beautiful sea-port on the river Barrow, in the barony of Bantry; carries on an extensive trade, and is also a parliamentary borough. This town was formerly strongly fortified; in high repute, and adorned with many religious houses.
It obtained the name of "Kossglass na muimneach," from the great number of Munstermen who followed St. Evin thither, when he founded the monastery of Rossmictreoin. It is not to be confounded with another Rossglass, in a northern part of Leinstei, now called Monastereven.
St. Evin is said to have been the brother of St. Cormac, who was of the royal blood of Munster, of the Eugenian line. Having left his own country, he arrived in the neighborhood of the Barrow, and founded his monastery of Rossmictreoin. Evin was contemporary with St. Molua, of Clonfert-Molua, who visited him in this monastery, when its abbot, and there performed miracles. The name of St. Evin appears in several Irish calendars. His death is assigned to a 22d of December, prior to the year 602, as he died in the reign of Brandubh, king of Leinster.
Crouched friary was built on the summit of a hill, in the town. One of the friars having killed a principal inhabitant, the whole body of the people arose, put the friars to death, and totally destroyed the abbey.
On its site was erected, by Sir John Devereux, the monastery of St. Saviour, for conventual Franciscans.
A.D. 1300, the founder granted to these friars a certain duty on all ships coming into the port of Ross.
A.D. 1283, Henry was prior.
A.D. 1310, about this time the town was walled, the friary included.
A.D. 1318, a provincial chapter of the order was held here on the feast of St. Bartholomew.
A.D. 1333, on March 6th, died Adam de Callen, guardian of Ross, who had filled that office for twenty-four years.
A.D. 1345, in a chapter held at Clane, in Kildare, this friary was assigned to the wardenship of Dublin.
A.D. 1406, the friars complaining to Henry IV. that the provost and burgesses levied taxes on the ships, merchants, &c., within the friar's bounds, contrary to the grant of the founder, the king confirmed the aforesaid grant on the 8th of December, James, earl of Ormond, being then lord lieutenant.
At the suppression, this house was granted to the earl of Ormond.
Inquisition taken on the 30th of June, thirty-first of Queen Elizabeth, finds that seven acres of land in Glean St. Saviour, annual value, besides reprises, 3s., were parcel of the possessions of this friary.
The east end of the building is now the parish church, of course the Protestant.
Augustinian friary, was founded, in the reign of Edward III., for eremites of St. Augustine. The name of the founder is lost in oblivion.
Robert Everard was prior.
John Gregory was the last prior. On the 20th of March, and in the thirty-first of king Henry VIII., he was seized of a church and belfry, hall, dormitory, and some other buildings, within the precincts, and a cemetery, the whole containing one acre, annual value, besides reprises 3s. 4:d. ; also of one tenement, one messuage, and five gardens in Ross, annual value, besides reprises, 13s. 2d. ; and twenty acres of arable land, thirty of pasture, and two of wood, in Polcapbuil, annual value, besides reprises, l0s. 2d.
In the thirty-fifth of Henry, this abbey, with its property, was granted for ever to Richard Butler at the annual rent of 17d. Irish.