The town of Enniscorthy is steeped in Irish history. The town's foundation can be traced to the monastery of St. Senan and an early base of the Normans who entered Ireland at the nearby Bannow Bay. Nearby Ferns was the seat of the Kings of Leinster and the see of St. Aiden, patron of the Diocese. Overlooking the town is Vinegar Hill, where the men of '98 held out until 21st June.
The Cathedral of St. Aiden itself is historic, built in 1843 to the design of A.W. Pugin.